Sunday, March 1, 2009

What is passion?

One of my best friends (we've worked together across two companies for many years) and I were having a philosophical discussion on finding your life's passions. Actually the discussion was on our company's Instant Message as we were both participating in long, uneventful conference calls and rather than waste an hour of our time that we would never get back, we put it to use having a deep conversation...on instant message. I know...ROFLMAO as I picture the event.

The ideal situation would be Joye is vacationing in Paris and is dressed in a glamorous little black dress with 4-inch, extremely pointy shoes that she would be traipsing all over Paris in with no pain at all. She'll be waiting in a chic coffeehouse for her husband as they meet for dinner and then the opera so she has decided to "instant message" her friend in the States.

Meanwhile, Kasey is zipping along in a chauffeured car to her next appointment...it might be Rachel Ray or it could be Martha Stewart...she can't remember. Her best-selling novel has made her an instant celebrity.

Joye: IDK...I'm jealous that you know what your passions are

Kasey: LOL! You live a fabulous life traveling the world with your family

Joye: I know...we're fabulous! We got everything in life right!

Kasey: I know! We're so fabulous! We've got so many of life's passions!

OK...so the scene isn't as fabulous but the conversation was probably better. In reality, we were both still in our pajamas, waiting for a break in our schedules to rush into the shower, maybe grab a meal. Joye had read my first blog and had made the comment that she wished she knew what her passions in life were.

It got me to thinking about the word passion. It's a dramatic word to use. It fills up pieces of our lives to have a passion. In today's society, it seems to have to mean something dramatic and out of the ordinary. You don't hear a lot of people declaring their passion in life to be broccoli.

I looked up the word passion. Passion (from the Latin verb patior, meaning to suffer or to endure, also related to compatible) is an emotion applied to a very strong feeling about a person or thing. Passion is an intense emotion compelling feeling, enthusiasm, or desire for something. The term is also often applied to a lively or eager interest in or admiration for a proposal, cause, or activity or love.

I look at Joye and I can see her passion, even if she can't or doesn't deem it exciting enough to be called a passion. Joye is the mother of three beautiful children and she is raising them to be the best humans that they can be. She's teaching her oldest daughter to be a confident, mature young woman and to pursue her passions. She's teaching her teenage boy how to pursue his passions and have not only the sports but the education. Not to mention the hours she spends on activities for parents of the athletes and supporting him at games. And her youngest, she is showing her how to be a strong woman and raise a loving family. She does all this for the kids and let's not forget her husband! There's a passion all on its own!

Sometimes we don't think our lives are exciting enough and could hardly call raising families a passion. Passions don't have to change the world. They change you. Not every passion can be converted into a career or an adrenalin rush. But I guarantee you that your passions change your life. I don't think I could live without my passions...my husband, my dogs, my want to have a family, my friends.

So, I declare publicly, on this blog, I have a passion for my life now...and for all things to be pursued. Now is the time to declare your passions...even if it is a passion for broccoli!

No comments:

Post a Comment